Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tribute to a heroic champion

From
April 17, 2008

Tourist steals scene opposite Gwyneth Paltrow

KNEBWORTH A British holidaymaker with no acting experience bluffed his way on to a Hollywood film set and was asked to act in a scene with Gwyneth Paltrow.

Carl Kelly, 29, of Knebworth, Hertfordshire, told security that he had left his pass inside the set and was believed “because I had a British accent”. He sat down with the other extras and, seven hours later, was called to do a scene with Ms Paltrow.

He said yesterday: “Some 38 takes later, I think they were getting pretty fed up with me — but that’s what happens when you let an untrained nobody into your film.”

The salesman, who had been staying at Caesars Palace after watching the boxer Ricky Hatton take part in a world title fight last June, now appears in the background of promotional posters for the science fiction thriller Iron Man. By the time the shoot had finished, Mr Kelly had missed his plane home. “I had to shell out for a new flight but after blagging my way on set I felt I couldn’t do a runner as they would have to start from the beginning.”

**********

He is a champion la, seriously. Here is one of the promotional pictures from the Iron Man website - I've pointed out our hero in action. Click to see the text:

Iron Man: the most heroic of them all wasn't supposed to be there in the first place

I'd be lining up to watch Iron Man now.

No comments: